Sunday, June 16, 2019

When I Was a Youth




          I remember going to a resort when I was a leader of the young women in my first ward.  There was a thirteen-year-old who enthusiastically asked, “Could we take all the mattresses downstairs and put them in a pile and jump over the balcony into them?  Wouldn’t that be fun?” 

           At thirteen years old I would have agreed with her. But I had become a rational fun-sucking adult.

           “No.  That does not sound fun.  It sounds dangerous.  If you land the incorrectly, you could break your neck.  No.” 

           I am through with school.  I no longer have to sign in each day or take care of assignments, assessments, and discussions.  My last class was called “Biological Psychology” where we were introduced to the brain and functions.  We’re told that the pre-frontal cortex does not fully develop until after our mid-twenties.  Oh, that would explain why some of the other presidency members seemed to make illogical choices as well.  I was the only one not in my early 20’s.  Only 35 and the grandma of the group.

          I remember my own mom being afraid of heights.  There were several amusement park rides that she did not care for.  I had always thought of it as an irrational fear until after I had Jenna.  I have turned into my mom.  Roland and I are definitely not fun parents to be with at an amusement park.  She has every right to think of us as fogies.  When did that happen anyway?

           I don’t worry about Jenna in Myrtle Creek the same way I did in Salt Lake. If she is with her friends or at a community activity, I know that she is in good hands.  In Salt Lake, I’d be fine with some of her friends, a bit leary of others, and distrusting of situations although not her personally.

           Jenna is rarely intimidated by others (I would have said never, but there was the incident with kindergarten in a strange environment) and does not give in to peer pressure.  She is comfortable in her skin.  She loves the gospel.  She is not afraid to be herself.  She definitely has a better grasp on being than I ever did.  I wish I had been more like her.

           I also believe that being a part of a smaller school is helpful to her situation.  There are fewer people in all four grades than there were in just my graduating class.  All the schools I have been to in Salt Lake have had auditoriums and high school (occasionally junior high or middle school) musicals.  There has also been a “little theater” in addition.  The high school she currently attends has a little theatre with uncomfortable car-seat bucket style seating.  
           We went and saw her perform in 12th Night the other night.  She then went to a game night/cast party and did return home until after 3:00.  Okay, that was rather late and she should have called – but the location where the party was held does not get the best reception.

          I’m so grateful for the opportunities that she has and her ability to continue making friends.  I don’t remember ever feeling close enough to anybody to want to hang out with til 11:00 or 12:00 – let alone 2:30.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment