Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Reflection written February 19, 2021

 

Back in the days before Google

possibly before Travel Agencies

I dont know. 

It hadnt dawned on either of us

to find a travel agency.  I

 dont recall what grade I was in

Im guessing fourth. 

 

The students had been assigned to

make posters of any state of his

or her own choosing. 

I had narrowed my selections down to

Hawaii, Alaska and Colorado. 

 

My mom helped me with the wording and

addressing the envelopes. 

I think we sent my plea to the capital city at

each address. 

We probably had to go to

the library to look it up

though I dont know where exactly. 

The internet did not

exist at that time.

I believe I had introduced myself as

a student at East Midvale Elementary in

Midvale, Utah and I was

hoping to get some information for

an assignment I was doing. 

The state of Hawaii was first to respond.

I received brochures so many pictures to

go along with my inquiries. 

I finished my poster several weeks before

the due date. 

 

With only one week left before

our due date (I think we had

been told five or six weeks in advance)

I heard from Alaska. 

Not quite as many pictures but

enough to make another poster. 

I asked if I could make another and

was given permission for extra credit.

 

Two months after the due date I

received a lone pamphlet from Colorado. 

No included pictures.  Whats up with that? 

The state of Colorado shares a

border with Utah. 

I would think their response would have

come a lot quicker. 

I was most unimpressed.

 

Over the years I decided

Colorado meant delay. 

It didnt matter the service. 

Mail, bus lines, airline connections or

what have you. 

There was ALWAYS

a delay. 

I personally had not viewed

a single exception.

I dont know what the status is today.

It seems so long ago since

I sent anything or traveled myself

through Colorado.

Pretty state. 

Always ran late in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment