Thursday, November 18, 2021

Only One Pickle per Tree

           I vaguely remember having a “Christmas Pickles” on our tree.  At least I think I do. I don’t even know where it came from or why it was there.  We obviously didn’t know its tradition as it was never hidden.  Tradition says the pickle is “hidden” to bring good luck to the finder.  We never hid the pickle.  

         I don’t remember hiding any ornaments intentionally.  Many times the fuller trees seemed to swallow up ornaments that had been pushed into the tree which is why I prefer Charlie Brown trees.  Every ornament can be seen on a Charlie Brown tree and none get lost.

          There is speculation about the Christmas pickle – or legends. Lost truths.  Invented stories perhaps.  It’s kind of a fun idea.  A little bizarre.  I mean a pickle? Not an item I have associated with Christmas.  But I am all for welcoming other cultures and traditions to cross my path.  I enjoy the diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment