Sunday, October 27, 2019

My Tasteless World


            I remember a time when I stayed home sick from school.  My mom was also ill.  We both shared strong colds.  I remember she made us a beautiful lunch: halibut, baked potato, cottage cheese, corn.  Only the textures were different.  All of it was tasteless because of our stupid colds.

            When I was younger, I remember my dad using Fisherman’s Friends to cure a sore throat.  Those things were nasty!  Until my taste buds freaked out on me I have never been able to handle keeping a Fisherman’s Friends in my mouth until it was completely dissolved.  I am now able to keep one in there for the duration. I can barely taste it.

                                 Image result for fisherman friend lozenges

          I think that this loss in taste might just be a temporary thing.  Before I got my latest sinus infection, I recall a sister in the ward not showing up for a meeting as she reported her sinus condition.  Another sister swore up and down that if she would take 15000 dosage of vitamin D3 every three hours for nine hours that she would be cured.  15000?  That seemed like a lot.  And when I came down with symptoms of my own, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try.  However I could not find 15000 – not even 1500.  The closest I had come was 1000 which I selected and took every three hours for nine hours – for three days (as it did not go away in one).  Turns out I have overdosed on vitamin D3 – which I had suspected but didn’t realize I would lose my taste buds as a result.  I hope it’s only temporary.  I would like to enjoy eating again.

On the plus side I have lost weight and will continue to do so as I just don’t enjoy eating.  Oh, I did have some Top Roman noodles for lunch.  I added some crushed seaweed and tomatoes which I could taste slightly.  It is the first thing I’ve eaten for the last four days that felt almost worthy of eating.  I wanted to share that good taste with Roland.  His taste buds are working just fine and evidently my lunch was too overpowering for him and he did not appreciate the taste.  I suspect I wouldn’t under normal circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment