Friday, July 10, 2020

Sterile or Immune

Here is a tale about Anna and her cousin Mike whom I do not know well, but I have met him on occasion.  Each time I remember Mike had a runny nose.  I may be wrong, but it seems like during his early life (I don’t know about now) he seemed to get sick a lot.  I had heard his mom was a neat freak and would keep her house almost sterile.  If something fell on her already-maculate-floor, it would be thrown in the garbage.

            Anna, on the other hand, lived in a home with two dogs, a cat, and her parents.  Though my sister tried to keep the house clean, there were still traces of animal fur.  If something fell to the floor her dad would return it to Anna and let her know it was still okay to eat.  I don’t recall her being sick all too often or having a runny nose.  Anna developed a high immune system. 

            I don’t know if school changed that or not.  I don’t recall the report of health or if they picked up infections from other children.  I wonder if Anna had survived better than Mike had. 

The situation we are currently facing reminds me of this situation – disinfecting businesses, houses, cars, ourselves . . . how often?  I understand we are not immune to the coronavirus but at the same time wonder if we might be going overboard.  I have always been horrible with touching my face – especially the eye area during allergy season.  Coronavirus hasn’t changed that.  I am just as guilty as before.  I ‘ve caught myself drinking from the same water bottle as one of Jenna’s friends who I may think of Jenna’s sister.  I’m definitely not a Monk (see here)

So where do we draw the line? We wash our hands wear masks to protect others. And how many things do we touch while at a grocery store?  Last night I was standing in line for some pain reliever but had somewhere to be.  I had picked up several bottles as I inspected the packaging and ingredients.  I ended up leaving the item near the magazines as I no longer wished to wait in line.  How many bottles had I touched?  How many others had touched those same bottles?

Perhaps it sounds like I am but I’m really not paranoid.  I just wondered why all these common sense things that we should have been focused on all along have somehow become a mandatory staple.  We’re suppose to support the small businesses and the small businesses don’t seem to be following all the rules.  What other rules are they not following?  Not honoring the food handlers permit perhaps?  I was leary of fast food places before covid.  At present I think I am more leary. I try to be careful – but I haven’t reached the point of changing clothes the minute I walk through the door and boil everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment