Saturday, December 23, 2023

Airports and Planes: the Return

 Found this in my draft folder from the seventh

Medford airport is definitely my favorite.  Salt Lake definitely was not.  My flight was not scheduled to leave until 7:00 am, but I was there to check in at 5:00 a.m.

There were only 3 people at the check-in window.  One was an older woman on her way to Alaska.  She felt nervous as she stood by herself and no one was at the window at the scheduled time.  When a worker finally came to the window he called the first person in line.  He had her move to the side as there was a question about something. 

         Southwest Airlines is the only I know of that have baggage already fixed into the price.  All others charge an additional fee for each bag that gets checked in – though I had checked in two items in Eugene but had only been charged for one.  Remembering that Richard had paid that fee when I checked in I started to rummage through my bag to retrieve money to pay the fee and allowed the other passenger in line to check in her already tagged bags.

         I had printed my confirmation and used my paperwork in Eugene but apparently it was needed in Salt Lake as all I was asked for was my ID.  The worker had asked if I had checked in already (Salt Lake evidently has check in, do-it-yourself stands which I guess are the equivalent of self-checkout registers that are found in many stores.  I would guess one who flies frequently might know how to use them – but probably an app and touch phone are needed – neither of which I have) and I said no.  He gave me a look which said, “You stupid, stupid woman”.  I don’t think he was pleased with his job or being there at 5:00 in the morning.  He took both pieces of luggage but did not add an additional charge to what I had already paid.

I walk another mile just to get in line to go through security.  I managed to leave my kindle out.  I was not aware that there was a miniature (smaller than a flash drive) pocket knife in my fanny pack – which hadn’t been mentioned at the Eugene Airport, but TSA pulled EVERYTHING out of my bag looking for it and asked “Where is your knife?”

“I don’t have a knife.” 

I really hadn’t remembered it even being there.  They said that I could pay 25 dollar to have it mailed to me.  I’m not paying 25 dollars for something I obviously won’t miss.  I think my husband picked it up as a free giveaway at some kind of fair. Yes, it was annoying but also a comfort knowing all the precautions that are taken.

I then had to make the mile hike from luggage claim to gate B.  The A 1-12 is one way and 13-25 another.  Straight ahead marked B which leads to an escalator going down – what the world?  Passengers make this long walk to yet another escalator going up.  Are you kidding me? The plane from SLC to Seattle was not so crowded and there was an empty seat between me and the man in the isle. 

It was raining in Seattle and there was a lot of turbulence flying in and flying out.  I certainly enjoyed breathing in the moist air while I was there.  Wetter than Oregon

But the puddle jumper from Seattle to Medford was the most crowded of any plane that I took.  And Seattle’s gate C2 is divided into another 8 gates.  Not a pleasant wait.  Flying into Medford was nice.  Richard was waiting for me with a sign and carnation in hand.  He really missed me and said he will never send me by myself again.  We were both crying. After I took a picture of Richard at baggage claim a worker offered to take a picture of the both of us.  Don’t see that happening in large airports.  SO HAPPY to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment