Thursday, December 7, 2023

Airports and Planes

 I left Oregon on November 15th and went to Salt Lake to assist my son and his wife with their family.  I returned on December 5th.  In that time I had seen four different airports and airplanes.  I went by way of Alaska Airlines which I like and have had a positive experience with in the past.

 My first flight was from Eugene to Seattle.  We chose to go through Eugene rather than Medford as the price was almost 200 dollar difference.  We had made a dry run the day prior just to see if we could find it first before attempting to do so in the dark.

Check in was not so bad.  An agent took my printed paperwork and issued me a boarding pass. My carry-on bag was pulled aside as I forgot to remove my kindle.  It didn’t seem like a big deal. 

I think that was the most comfortable of all the planes – though the one from Salt Lake to Seattle was not bad as the plane was not full.  But the plane from Seattle to Salt Lake was quite full and so was the puddle jumper between Seattle and Medford. 

For the most part the leg room reminded me of the same amount of leg room which Jaime and I had on the bus four months ago.  But the seats were wider.  One could actually put the seatbelt around the lap as the seats were designed for bigger butts than that of a middle schooler.

 I believe I had a window seat from Oregon to Seattle.  I was in row 6 or 7.  I could easily view those flying first class which didn’t seem all that different from coach.  I sat waiting at a gate in B or D as that was what had been written on my passport – but those passengers were going to Bozeman and I was told I needed to take the train to N.  Say what?

There was a definite difference in first class and coach on the plane from Seattle to Salt Lake City.  I sat squashed between two gentleman.  Overhead was full and we all had carry-ons beneath our feet.  I was asked to remove my fanny pack on the puddle jumper but it didn’t seem to matter on the larger plane which I’m certain held at least 100 people.

 Jai and I had attempted to play phrazel when I was at the airport, but it was awkward.  I had an hour and a half layover in Seattle both ways.

Ryan drove around the SLC airport waiting for me to come out.  But it took me a while to get from the gate to baggage claim.  It must have been a two mile walk.  I didn’t notice the signs until after my return but they advertise the long walk is to prepare visitors to hike from 5 national parks located in Utah.  I had dragged my coat and sweater and was so hot by the time I got out to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment