Thursday, January 24, 2019

Routine in Education


                It is so hard trying to get back into the swing of school assignments etc. after a holiday weekend or vacation.  For the last three years I have had classes at the end of the year for two weeks before the winter vacation (or Christmas) and am expected to finish the next two week after the New Year.  I'm certain it's equally hard on the instructors.  Perhaps even more so.

                So on MLK day, I was to start a new class (my last accounting class folks.  I had miscalculated before and thought this would be two more.  But I was wrong.  Hallelujah!).  Didn't do much for it on Monday as we had invited a few friends over to eat pizza and play games. The lectures don't happen until Tuesday at 6:00 MST and so I decided I would just wait before posting to my discussion.

                On Tuesday I did some research for my discussion post, but had failed to even look at the assignment - which included three videos which I could have watched.  All three together were just over two hours.  But I couldn't make the time for them on Wednesday.

                Unlike the last instructor from my last class, this one will let the class members know what is expected on the assignment, discussion and so forth and will actually go over sample problems with us.  My last instructor would show a power point and proceed to read every single slide.  Never covered the assignment or expectations.  It was boring.  I stopped watching his lectures.  What a waste - even for insomnia.

                I do seem to be having some issues with the program itself - like when I try to explore the instructor's bio, I get this:
                               
 

               When I use an alternative to find said bio, I get this:




What??!? That doesn't tell me anything!

                Fortunately he introduced himself in the introductory discussion which isn't mandatory for students.  I am so grateful that I wasn't assigned my last instructor as I have had that happen before.  I've had several instructors several times in a row.  There were three instructors that I've had three times and one that I have had four times.  I hadn't even realized that until recently.  I knew I had him twice, maybe three times. 

                Thus far the class feels more like a management class rather than an accounting class.  The class will end on February 18 and then I will be left with just fun classes - although I am not entirely certain about the class I'll be taking in May.  I saw something there just a few weeks ago, but it is no longer there.  I don't know if the University changed its mind or if the class has been illuminated or what the deal is.  Thus far there are five classes which appeared in the 2016 catalog but I have not taken.  There are also four classes that I have taken that were not part of the 2016 catalog.  I did write down the name of the class and may be somewhere on my desk.  I should know by February 18.



No comments:

Post a Comment