Saturday, August 3, 2019

Even More Homonyms





A field is a plot of land used for farming or playing ball.  Sometimes fields are filled with weeds and are neglected.

Pull is the opposite of push.  When I pull something, it generally has a handle.  Pull often has a different sound than pole or poll - but some people pronounce all three the same way.  A Pole  is a rod or a stand like in a flagpole or fishing pole.  A Poll is a survey.




I had an instructor introduce me to the word complement which is a form of completion.  I needed to add to my documents in order to improve them - to complete or make perfect.  A compliment is a polite expression or greeting.

A chord is associated with music while a cord provides extension or can be wrapped or tied around something.



To be on the lam is to run away and hide.  This is mostly associated with hiding from the police.  Lamb is a baby sheep.  The "b" in lamb is silent. A bleating lamb is not.

An altar is a small table or stone used in Christian ceremony.  To alter is to change or adjust.



A mote is a tiny particle like a speck of dust that is bothersome to the eye.  A moat is the dugout surrounding the castle.  For the most part it is filled with water

Sacks are containers made of fibers.  I can buy sacks of wheat or flour. Sometimes I refer to paper bags as sacks.  Sax is short for saxaphone.




Wear is putting clothes on.  Where is a question to learn a direction.  I want to wear my hat, but I don't know where it is.

To shear is to clip the wool from a sheep.  A shear is a pair of scissors but sheer fabric is quite thin and can be seen through.


Yack is to chat idly.  A yak is a long-haired wild ox.

And finally lessen is to decrease a size.  Lesson is something taught.  More photos like this one can be found at this site:


http://homophonesweakly.blogspot.com/2018/09/lessen-lesson.html






No comments:

Post a Comment