Thursday, April 16, 2020

Read the Directions Several Times


          As a student, for me personally, it was always easier to receive verbal directions than written ones.  I would do the research for whatever class I had online and discover the assignment was very different from my interpretation of what I thought I had read.  So often I would have to change my sense of direction – sometimes resulting in starting from scratch.  I’m finding the same is true with some of the students who are used to being in public school but are online currently due to the pandemic.

          On of my daughter’s friends asked if she could come and film herself performing CPR on Jenna.  That is NOT social distancing.  Jenna does not have that same assignment as she is not currently taking the required health class that her friend has on her schedule.  Her friend seemed certain that she would have to practice on another person – which for me sounded irresponsible.  Why would an instructor ask that of a student at this time?  The entire reason we are not in public schooling right now is because there is no such thing as social distancing among students. 

          The directions say to perform the CPR – if necessary student may demonstrate on something like a stuffed animal or doll.  The LAST comment in tiny letters is demonstrate on an actual person without really doing it.  So I am thinking 1) why would she turn in a project in which she has obviously broken the rule of social distancing 2) why not perform on a stuffed animal or pillow even – then you will be able to press as hard as actually required because the pillow won’t be hurt no matter how much pressure is applied.

          It seems like an unrealistic requirement for all students as not all students do have access to making the video or transferring the information correctly.  I could be wrong.  Many of Jenna’s friend do have cell phones.  They upload videos all the time on Tik Tok – but still – we live in a poor area and not everybody has access to electronics – though I think under the circumstances perhaps schools have issued chrome books for students to “borrow”.  I know my sisters kids have borrowed chrome books from their school.

          Written directions should be read several times.  They need to be read out loud.  They need to communicate to the mind what needs to take place in order to express that the directions were followed.  I hope Jenna’s friend realizes that our not allowing her to come into direct contact with our daughter is nothing against her personally.  We love this friend.  Under normal circumstances I would take her under my wing and have her stay with us.  But it’s out of my control.  It isn’t my place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment