Monday, January 4, 2021

Letting Go

 I was not on facebook at all on December 31 or January 2.  It was nice.  So many times I have considered removing myself from being connected but there are aspects I enjoy such as Come Follow Me and keeping connected with the ward relief society and different community pages.  More pluses than negatives if I will allow myself to look at it that way.

The only reason I had turned on my computer yesterday was because Roland wanted to send Randy a card for his birthday which is tomorrow and will not get to him in time if we were to mail it out.  If my computer is opened I will open the internet and dabble.  Last night I saw a notification from a member in the ward who I have bonded with in some ways but do not always choose to read her posts and wish I would have gone with my first impulse NOT to click on the notification but ignore but it was Sunday and she often does share inspirational messages.  No, last night was a question and answer about Trump being able to stay in office.  I dont know how many people agreed with her but did recognize a few names. 

My first thought was: Get over it!  Trump lost a long time ago.  Are we seriously going to do away with democracy so an overgrown bully can get his way?” I wonder how many would demand recounts and overpost a victory gone wrong had the tables been turned.  There's been so much bantering the entire year of 2020.  Can't we start the new year off NOT?!?

I was wondering what reference I could use from the scriptures or general conference talks thats what we do, right?  Those who were slaveholders used scriptures to prove how God supports slavery while those against slavery used the same set of scriptures to disprove their belief.

I heard the still small voice telling me to

Let it Go. 

I decided to listen.

Still I needed something that would bring peace to my own mind.  I looked up peace and started into different passages but not satisfied.  I remembered I had meant to look up the lyrics of Micheal McLeans “I Cry the Day I Take the Tree Down” (here) from the from The Forgotten Christmas Carols.

I had gone into the other room where Roland was finishing up another episode of Stargate and asked if we could watch The Forgotten Christmas Carols on YouTube.  I loved this production made available in November of 2020 though filmed in 2008.  It brought me peace. 

 This year’s Come Follow Me program focuses on the Doctrine and Covenants and I read scriptures from various weeks and found the Lord lovingly chastising me as many of the words spoke to me directly – which is a good thing.  That’s how I need to read them.

Unlike the other standard works, the Doctrine and Covenants themselves do not tell a story but are a collection of revelations.  Behind each revelation is a story and the website offers references that connect and I am awed by how quickly each reference is available at the click of a button – something that our forefathers could not have imagined.

The revelations had been compiled in a book called “The Book of Commandments” but was not made available to the saints as they are today.  Those who were sent on missions were allowed to copy some revelations to carry in their pockets and possibly exchange if they met up with another who also carried scriptures that way. 

I have learned a lot already and hope to continue in the Spirit guiding me and shed the anger of darkness.

For more information see the Come Follow Me programs found here, here and here.


 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment