Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Reminders of Missing Poetry

            I remember loving nursery rhymes – I think because they rhymed.  Most were silly and didn’t mean much other than the rhyming words.  I tried my hand at poetry at a very young age.  Hey, my rhymes weren’t so off the wall as Mother Goose.  That must have been my first introduction to poetry.

            I remember discovering free verse and gradually introduced to limericks and haikus.  I read the Childcraft book 1 more than any of them. 

 


           Whenever the school offered book fairs or sent home scholastic brochures, I would order books that specialized in poetry.  One of my favorite was an introduction to American Poetry – I forget the title but the cover from front to back was covered in blue print of each author’s name and the title was in red and blue. My favorite poets were Carl Sandburg and Christina Rossetti.

 In time I turned to black poetry and found I loved Phillis Wheatley, Paul Laurence Dunbar and Langston Hughes – especially Langston Hughes.  I could not read enough of his poetry and would later read anything written by him or about him.

In high school I took a creative writing class and contributed to the school publication called Expressions.  I treasured those books for a long time.  I am certain that I brought them into my marriage but don’t know if they ever made it to West Valley or Oregon.  I have my doubts.  I had tried to introduce Jenna to my love of poetry, but she didn’t seem interested – although she did enjoy Dr. Seuss and loved nonsense poems. 

She is currently taking an English class which at this moment in time have poetry themed assignments.  It has triggered many memories of the poetry I used to love but somehow became bored with as it hasn’t been in my repertoire for a while now.  I don’t remember when I had stopped reading or writing.  Probably after I got married.  We’ve lived in this state for over five years.  For the first time since we’ve been in Oregon I find myself missing the collection I once had.  I would like to share some of those written by my classmates and peers – but alas, they have become part of yesteryear never to return.

2 comments:

  1. We still have a big box with many binders that was left with us or that we collected from West Valley. Binders that have many papers written on them so, I bet they are in one of those binders somewhere. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so. That would be awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete