Friday, May 7, 2021

Peach Cobbler Thursday

           I don’t know who came up with the brilliant idea to add salt to all desserts; leaving out just a pinch of salt flattens the dessert and disappoints the taste.  Then again, too much salt will also ruin the dessert as it becomes the only thing one can taste.

          When I was in college I remember a girl from next door providing a recipe for the easiest ever peach cobbler.  It was combining 1 cup each of flour, sugar and milk, two tablespoons of baking powder, a little salt and a jar of peaches (or whatever fruit desired).  Oh, and lest not forget the half stick of butter that melts in the pan as you preheat.          

            In her recipe one of the steps required cutting up the peaches and cooking them on the stove before they were added.  Over the years I eliminated that step and would often use pie filling as a replacement.  I had brought the recipe into my marriage and used it for plums.  Roland had it committed to memory the first time I made it and took over.

          He had wanted to make a peach cobbler to take to a dinner we had scheduled with friends last night.  He also had some dry-cleaning to pick up in Roseburg and planned on doing both after he got off work.  That was really pushing it I thought.  And so I volunteered to drive to Roseburg to get his dry cleaning and took Jenna with me.   

          I was in no hurry and took Jenna on the scenic route which for the life of me cannot see Roland purposely taking.  When I returned home Roland had asked if I would like to make the cobbler – though we wouldn’t be going to our friends’ house for another four hours.  I could not remember all the ingredients or how much though I thought the measurement of flour, milk and sugar was the same.  I should have asked him but chose to find options on the Internet.  Big mistake!  The recipe I chose did not call for salt or baking powder.  It didn’t rise.  It tasted okay but had a terrible texture for cobbler.  

Roland remade the cobbler.  We had a very nice visit with our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment