Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Hope They Weren’t Murder Hornets

              I remember “murder hornets” mentioned briefly in May.  I didn’t even know if it was a real thing or not.  Apparently they are twice the average size and will slaughter bees and hives within the matter of minutes.  I haven’t heard of any harmed human cases.

          This morning Roland had given Jenna the assignment of filling one of the bird feeders – which she has done before but not with the dramatics that were felt today.  Both Roland and I heard her screaming and crying.  Evidently there is a hornet’s nest nearby and over a dozen had inserted their stinging swords into her.  It didn’t appear that they had attached her legs, but there was evidence of their vulgar action between both shoulders and neck, her arms (mostly by hands) her head and face. 

          She usually has her hair up but happened to have it down.  Perhaps the hornets were drawn to the overgrown “nest” piled around her head.  Both Jenna and I do need our hair cut.  It seems to grow just past the shoulder and stops in length but continues creating a thickness of layers that can’t be stopped.  I can cut our hair – but I don’t have the talent for thinning it out.

          We found her at the bottom of the deck apologizing between screams and tears.  Roland tried to shake the hornets away and got stung in the process.  Just one hand with multiple stings.  Nothing compared to her.  They removed more hornets which buzzed around the bathroom and Roland closed the door on them.  I told her to take a shower in my room and drown the critters.  I think I smashed five more as she continued to scream.

          I told her to douse her hair with water so we could drown the beasts and then she washed her hair and brushed it and I put it up for her – something I have not done since she was a child.  I rubbed an aloe based cream and gave her some aspirin.   I don’t like when Jenna is unhappy.  I don’t wish for those screams and tears to haunt me, but will be willing if it will make the pain and trauma be taken from her.  Why did Coffenberry choose this vermin to be their mascot?



1 comment: