Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Advantages to Lost or Dulled Senses

 

https://ercare24.com/five-senses/

          I had always been under the impression that if one sense stopped working another may be enhanced.   For instance, my mom has never had a keen sense of smell.  She lost it due to growing up in a smoke infested apartment.  (I think both of her parents were chain smokers) but had exceptional hearing.  Even on her deathbed I believe she could hear well.

          None of my senses are sharp.  I control/plus each screen in order to see the font.  I wear glasses and hearing aids.  My sense of smell seems to be a thing of the past.  My taste comes and goes.  I suppose my strongest sense would be touch.

          I know Jenna has bathed the dog, but evidently she still has an odor about her.  Jenna and Roland have both mentioned that she expels gas which leaves an unpleasant stench.  Those situations make me grateful that I can’t smell. 

          Not used to the hearing aids.  I have heard sounds that I really don’t care about – like the clacking of the buttons on the keyboard or the squeaky floors.  Often I feel like I am listening to echoing as though in a tunnel.  I can turn the volume down or off if something gets too loud like the organ at Church or the television. 

          My taste buds do not seem to dull enough.  I still want things that are bad for me – such as sweets. I have added more salt to my dishes over the years or the things that are good for me will taste bland.  I don’t think I oversalt anything.  But maybe I do.  I don’t eat as much when I cannot taste the food.  That is a plus for losing weight.

          I don’t know what the plus for losing the sense of touch would be.  Hopefully I won’t have to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment